Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Great Tit! Great Tick! - Birds & Birdwatchers

Great Tit Parus major
 The Great Tit is truly great to see on Fair Isle. Would you run for a Great Tit? I did, and I don't run anymore. Still I dipped it! not seeing the bird the first day. Luckily it has stuck around and we have had a chance to catch up with this rare bird. Great Tits are common birds on mainland Britain but to put it into local perspective this is the 1st member of the Tit family I've seen on Fair Isle in the past 6 years. Among all the amazing rare birds seen this Autumn this Great Tit was only my 2nd Island tick... The other being the North American - Magnolia Warbler. Yesterday with no guests left to cook for I did have a chance to do some birding myself, I had a self found & garden tick in Woodlark. Plus an Olive Backed Pipit, 3 Jackdaw, 120 Snow Buntings, etc. and best of all, better views of the Great Tit. Below are assorted photos from the past week.

 

Henry photographing the Great Tit   -   Henry's photo at the same time as mine... 


Shetland Wildlife Autumn Tour - Fair Isle Group
What Stars!

Henry's photos of Great Grey Shrike at the Obs.


Young Birdwatchers... Logan & Henry
South Harbour finding House Martins, Longtailed Ducks, Etc...
the boys refound the sculking Lancy - Lanceolated Warbler

Twite

A Robin!

Super Fly!


Redpoll

4 Scoter in the South Harbour

Sarah - Jane - Judd - Corinna - Martin
"The old birdwatchers"

Thumbs up! with yet another keen young birder.

Great Stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment