Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pochard in my Pond!

Pochard  Aythya ferina - adult male.
After a week of wind and gales the plane finally came to take Henry and the school kids back to Lerwick. The winds are still strong coming from the south east, so the parents were all a bit nervous as the plane took off and flew out of sight. I returned to my quiet home with packages and mail from the plane. While I'm going through it all, I see a duck in my pond? A Wigeon, I thought at first? I'm excited because though I have seen many Wigeon from my garden recently I have never had them swimming in my pond. I grab my binoculars and camera... what is that??? OMG! it's a Pochard! ( I checked my bird guide to be sure. ) I take one rubbish photo through my dirty salt covered window and then it flies away. But only just over the wall of my garden to the pond in the foundations of Gaila. I'm very happy! though I am a little bummed that Henry missed it by about an hour. It also helps me get over the female seen last year for a few days up at Golden Water, the one I wasn't told about until it left. That female was the only Pochard reported for the previous five years, just another bird that is common in Britain but rare on Fair Isle. It's harder and harder to find any new ticks what so ever, so this was quite a surprise.

For me the Pochard in my pond is a Fair Isle Tick, Self Found Tick, Garden Tick & Pond Tick!
Pochard & Sheep at Gaila near the Wali Burn.


Like water off a ducks back.
Scoter still riding out the gales in the North Haven.
The first of the year Oystercatchers have arrived, plus 6 maybe more Bean Geese and 1 or 2 Iceland Gull are still about, also present a noticeable influx of Kittiwakes.

The Weather has been rubbish!
I am glad I have not been aboard the Northlink Ferry recently...

No comments:

Post a Comment