Friday, February 24, 2017

Rock Pooling Finds in Fine Winter Weather.

Kiss Me!
Sea-Scorpion - Myoxocephalus scorpius
We did a bit of rock pooling up here as the weather is fine here. while the rest of Scotland deals with the winter storm "Doris". Dave Wheeler our local meteorologist said we may be having the best weather in the UK at the moment. We found crabs and Brittle-stars... but we have the most pride in who can find little fish species. together we caught 4 species, Sea-scorpion, Shanny Blenny, Butterfish and Five-bearded Rockling. What fun!

Shanny Blenny - Liophyrs pholis
Mermaid Purses - skate egg cases
Henry looking at the Shanny Benney I caught  after turning over a big rock.

Purple Sandpiper

LOVE

One of the big fat Five-bearded Rockling Henry caught.

Tidepool Texture

Sea-weed


Common Limpets


Unusual Limpet, a smooth rainbow mother of pearl surface,
like I have never seen before. Maybe a new species for me?
The only two I have found? so one is no a fluke...


More Limpets...

The searchers on the shore.

Himanthalia elongata - Buttons
As seen and found on the South Harbour Beach.



This seaweed reminds me of Frank Gehry Architecture.

Purple Pink Anemone

LOVE

Kiss me again!


Love... Giving it the boot for perspective.
Pink

 Me.



Happiness!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and interesting creatures! Thanks Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds! Such a different world you live in! Love the Scorpion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Tommy, thank you for sharing with us. I grew up in Cornwall and loved exploring rock pools and the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures, wish I could look at the originals myself! Maybe some day ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful photographs makes me want to visit the isle even more. Delightful.
    Lors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed looking at all your wonderful finds here ...
    Thanks

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete